Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-11-12 15:54:06

jamesbgraf

Awe Encompassing

I was listening to the radio this morning, and the host of a program said that something he experienced while in Sri Lanka was “awe encompassing.” I thought maybe I misheard the word “all”, or perhaps he had just made an error in spontaneous speech (substituting “awe encompassing” for “awe inspiring”). There are only 477 results on google for “awe encompassing”, but most of them on the first two pages seem to be examples of the same kind of reanalysis. I think it’s a genuine eggcorn. My guess is that people are using the phrase to say that they’re being encompassed or surrounded by awe. Also the confusion likely comes from the phrases “all encompassing” and “awe inspiring”.

#2 2010-11-12 16:59:46

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: Awe Encompassing

Welcome, jamesb!
Yes, this looks real. Doubtless, as you suggest, arising from a blend, but an eggcorn (squash ) for all of that.
It’s related to this allsome one.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2010-11-12 17:00:08)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2010-11-12 19:50:03

burred
Eggcornista

Just all inspiring.

High School sports
accomplishments are to numerous to mention here on these pages but he is just all inspiring and amazing indeed.

Last edited by burred (2010-11-12 19:53:33)

#4 2010-11-12 21:46:55

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

A good many of these too:

Its great when we have entertained on the 4th of July and people are allstruck at the beauty of the gardens. So enjoy your gardening!

WOW! finaly we get to talk! Ive heared sooooo much about you! OMG!!! I’M COMPLETELY ALLSTRUCK!!! And that is a 1st 4 me!!!

her family and friends are all struck by how charming, handsome, and personable Nick is

I make water colers myself and, I am all struck by the way you paint the water in you paintings is there a secret to that that you like to share with me.

All/awe is a fairly prolific rountripper, I think.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer