Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-11-22 19:41:45

rfwillis

Slinging match for slanging match

I did a search but couldn’t find this one in the database. I think this eggcorn has been around so long it has become almost accepted as an alternative. (I’m guessing it comes from combining “mud slinging” with “slanging match” but I suspect that “mud slinging” might have evolved in an eggcornish type way, from “slanging” to begin with.)

Last edited by rfwillis (2010-11-22 20:48:13)

#2 2010-11-22 21:27:26

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: Slinging match for slanging match

This is the first I have heard of a “slanging match.” A quick Google search shows that it is chiefly a British usage. Perhaps one of our British experts will chime in.

#3 2010-11-23 12:32:40

David Bird
Eggcornista

Canadians also have slanging matches, though we do try to be polite about it. The etymology suggests that slinging and slanging are pretty close in meaning. But are there notes of slander on the pallet? Many think so (also). Be that as it may, I count a slinging match as a cute blend.

Last edited by David Bird (2010-11-23 12:35:54)

#4 2010-11-23 16:45:36

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

There are a lot of these, too:

if you dont know how to engage in a proper discussion but resort to mud-slanging and emotional outbursts. ...

I see many people try to create an IC story/tale here and it quickly turns into a debate/mud slanging match!

#5 2010-11-23 17:58:44

David Bird
Eggcornista

Slag is a cousin to slay.

Daily Record, Glasgow: Hinkel’s a daft wee boy
get back to facts and learn the truth before yees open yer traps, samaras and mcgreesy were the clowns who started this slagging match

Daily Record, Glasgow: Tabloid column inches in play
SLAGGING MATCH The glamour gloves are off in the Jordan v Jodie “my boobs are better than yours” contest

Online scuffle
Hope you are now satisfied with the action taken by Mr Rocky the moderator…. We urge Madhan also not to indulge in mud slagging

#6 2010-11-24 00:42:23

rfwillis

David Bird wrote:

Slag is a cousin to slay.

Daily Record, Glasgow: Hinkel’s a daft wee boy
get back to facts and learn the truth before yees open yer traps, samaras and mcgreesy were the clowns who started this slagging match

Daily Record, Glasgow: Tabloid column inches in play
SLAGGING MATCH The glamour gloves are off in the Jordan v Jodie “my boobs are better than yours” contest

Online scuffle
Hope you are now satisfied with the action taken by Mr Rocky the moderator…. We urge Madhan also not to indulge in mud slagging

Very interesting. I did not think of “slagging” although there is the expression “to slag (someone/something) off”, meaning to denigrate it.

I think the middle example, referring to Jordan and Jodie, is a play on the common (and very unkind) British expression “slag” to describe a woman who you wouldn’t bring home to meet Mum.

Board footer