Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-11-22 22:42:50

rfwillis

Decrapitated

I first became aware of this around 10 years ago. A friend had just come back from inspecting a rental property and was disappointed with its presentation.
“It was completely decrapitated!”

This quickly became one of my faves as it seems to combine “dilapidated”, “decrepit” and “crappy”. I might add that it was uttered with complete innocence.

It seems to have found a home in some “urban” dictionaries and I found this link (below), where a talented woman has fashioned an attractive bench from a “decrapitated” head board.

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=249299.0

#2 2010-11-23 16:59:22

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Re: Decrapitated

The back of the bench is made from parts of a decrapitated head board.

I can’t help seeing a decapitated head in there, and here’s another:

If you haven’t seen Cemetery Man, there is a singing girl’s head that just gets more and more decrapitated every day, and she chases you by rolling after you.

It may be that some folk confuse delapidated/decrepit/decapitated and the crap just creeps in there because it sometimes seems to fit. Interesting finds, rf, and welcome to the forum.

Board footer