Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-11-25 19:05:34

David Bird
Eggcornista

"Muzzle in on" for 'muscle in on'

‘Muzzling in on’ is an apt alternative image for ‘muscling in on’. Instead of strongarming your way in, you poke your nose in where it’s not wanted, like Rover’s unwelcome furtling. This one was suggested by rfwillis’ post on pushing muscle around.

Gift-giving advice
If you give items that a person is already very adept at getting for themselves, muzzling in on this territory can be a means of invading it and substituting their sense of style with yours.

Gaming tip that is very Montreal
How about that unscrupulous competitor in town that’s been muzzling in on your business? Just fire-bomb his house and storefronts.

NORML New Zealand
did you see “weeds” there was an episode where campus security taxed the dealers weed coz she was muzzling in on his turf.

#2 2010-11-25 21:51:22

patschwieterman
Administrator

Re: "Muzzle in on" for 'muscle in on'

And there’s also the oddly affectionate “nuzzling in on.” I was surprised to find an instance from the Guardian in the UK. “Muzzling in on” gets 44ugh while “nuzzling in on” gets 34ugh, but I think a much higher proportion of people writing the latter really mean it. Examples:

Now the Beckhams are nuzzling in on the market with his and hers scents.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/ … ping/print

It was mainly needed to justify the actions of Andrew Jackson, who in official response to the Scott Massacre, set about to attack the Spanish, villages of freed slaves, to exterminate towns of Indians and execute British citizens who were nuzzling in on our trade profits.
http://honestpoet.wordpress.com/category/history/

#3 2010-11-26 01:49:04

rfwillis

Oh, I love these! My dog is forever muzzling and nuzzling in on me. (Never muscling however and for that I’m grateful)

#4 2010-11-27 17:43:58

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Lot of ways to encroach. These are lovely eggcorns.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer