Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-11-27 15:43:56

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

'clumpsy' for 'clumsy'

I think it was David T who once made an observation that a particular sentiment or image can become attached to an initial sound. I may have imagined that, and I don’t have the time to wade through all of his posts, pleasurable though that would be, to find the reference. Or its absence.
Anyway, I was reminded of that notion by hearing someone pronounce clumsy as clumpsy, a seamless meld of clumsy and clumpy. A clump can be a clod, which can be a clumsy person, and suddenly a dumb cluck appeared, and clunky too – and klutz.
Clumpersome for ‘cumbersome’ seems to fit too.

These children tend to be clumpsy and are often hyperactive.

Compared to other figurines from that type, it is rather large and clumpsy and made from a strange material.

i cant walk in high heels, i always trip or step on a hole (sp) i am very clumpsy.

Infact i found the controls to be a slow and clumpersome.

#2 2010-11-28 14:57:45

burred
Eggcornista

Re: 'clumpsy' for 'clumsy'

You’re onto something. Clumbersome has hundreds of ughits. It must be a blend of clumsy and cumbersome.

Clompsy seems to have advocates too. Having been personally blessed with clodhoppers, I can relate. Part of the Vowel Shift?

Gamer
I can’t see the point with that new model I like them small (Easyer to take with you) and
the big one looks clompsy

Comics setup
Artemisa is a happy and cutegirl, but is a mess and a little clompsy

Last edited by burred (2010-11-28 14:58:09)

#3 2010-11-28 15:39:28

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: 'clumpsy' for 'clumsy'

Thou art mated to a clown,
and the grossness of his nature will have weight to drag thee down.

“Clown” at least used to have the connotations of clumsiness and rudeness to fit in the paradigm. I have also heard the word clot used to mean something of the same sort.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer