Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-11-28 09:10:06

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

'stunning ovation' for 'standing ovation'

Anyone unfamiliar with the notion of a standing ovation might easily mistake it for a stunning one. Many dialects barely register that ‘d’ sound, and some vowels – around here at any rate – are migrating and entirely displacing others – bunny rabbits are now bonny rabbits, and there is no longer any difference between a worrier and a warrior. Or a tough and a toff. It’s nice to see the ‘u’ fighting back.

The audience welcomed her back with a stunning ovation. She stretched her arms out to her adoring fans. She rushed to the footlights. It was magical. ...

As Alpert described it, when she came on stage for her curtain call and “…the audience gave her a stunning ovation for several minutes, ...

When they were over she got a stunning ovation and she confessed that looking back now, she was real proud to have been associated with these films. ...

He sings the aria again to another stunning ovation and tears come to his eyes. Anna gets quite a nice ovation after she sings her dazzling aria declaring …

Regardless of the result tonight Beckham will get a stunning ovation at his old stomping ground.

Last edited by Peter Forster (2010-11-28 09:11:32)

#2 2010-11-28 14:31:07

burred
Eggcornista

Re: 'stunning ovation' for 'standing ovation'

Must be the latest wave of the Great Vowel Shift crashing against Albion. Keep your eyes skinned for bony rabbits and stoning ovations. Otherwise, maybe the stunning ovation was intentional – the ovation was baffling.

Bony rubbets?

Last edited by burred (2010-11-28 14:32:05)

#3 2010-11-28 15:29:32

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Many stunning occurrences are not baffling, just overwhelming.
(I like this one. Very much.)
Bony rubbets. Reminds me of the graffiti supposedly seen on an Aussie stadium wall when the All-Blacks visited:

New Zealand sucks
Australia zero.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#4 2010-11-28 20:43:55

burred
Eggcornista

Took me some internet sleuthing to get that one. The tipoff was lusts:

Then, of course, there’s the funny way we talk. There are long lusts of the words we get wrong. Though that can work to our advantage: What did Kiwis do when an Aussie sprayed “New Zealand sucks” on a Sydney overbridge? Added “Australia nil”.
Sheep shots

Incidentally, I think ‘stunning ovation’ is stunning too.

#5 2010-11-29 07:13:47

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

I once had the great privilege of being in NZ for a few weeks, and was fascinated by what they did to their vowels. Among other things, convert the short-i sound to a schwa (lists to lusts, six to sucks), then shove the other front vowels up a notch or two (sacks to sex, sex and sakes to seeks). It was very confusing at times; my computer would overload, trying to undo the vowel shifts.
What lovely country, though (or rather, too!). And very nice friendly folks. If I were to pick a country on the basis of which would be the nicest place to live, I think I’d go there.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2010-11-29 17:19:57)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer