Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-12-01 23:10:23

kem
Eggcornista

begones << bygones

A number of web sites (a significant proportion are Asian) seem to think that the antique English idiom “let bygones be bygones” is actually “let begones be begones.” Perhaps they are thinking of the finality encoded in the command “Begone!” and mapping it onto the resignation implied in putting aside bygone events.

Samples:

Game forum: “ let begones be begones and lets forget about Morghoul torturing you and all.”

On a soccer thread: “Why don’t you call it a truce and let begones be begones. ”

Blog overview: “I realize life is short and it’s pointless to argue over trifle issues, and it’s best to let begones be begones. ”

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#2 2010-12-02 21:44:25

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: begones << bygones

Good one, it does appear to be a sort of blend. Here are others from the coterie, in varying degrees of dishabille.

Political board
Let bygones be gones .I am not dwelling on the past.

Gamer board
I’m going to be a bigger man and apologise.. I dont know for what, i know i did some flamming, and a little bit of trolling, but yah, let be gones, be, be-gones.

Bodybuilding board
if i don’t here from her soon ill just assume, we had a good time and let it be, let bye gones be bye gones…

A chilling one:

African despot
I totally agree with Vamuma to say that your Taylor is a sensible killer of human beings. What happened to Gabriel Kpolleh,Dr.Stephen Yekeson,Dr.Moses Duopu,and many others who were on Taylor’s occupied arears? He will one day tell the Liberian people that he knew nothing about their deaths.Even though,he is not been tried for crimes he committed in Liberia.For Liberians, they said,”Let bye guns be bye guns”.

Last edited by David Bird (2010-12-02 21:45:00)

Board footer