Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-12-09 09:05:01

bluecrab

"shuttering noise" for "shuddering" noise

Observed as For Sale on a company bulletin board (electronic):
Free compact refrigerator.
You would need to pick it up. It makes a shuttering noise when the compressor shuts off, but otherwise functions well.

———————————-
This works for me on a couple of levels. There is the sound of shutters flapping in the wind and there’s also the connection between “shuttering noise” and “shuts off.” Wrapped up, it’s a nice little package.

#2 2010-12-13 12:00:47

burred
Eggcornista

Re: "shuttering noise" for "shuddering" noise

“Shutter” for “shudder” is one of the earliest entries to this forum, and thus venerable. The “shut” angle was invoked there as well, as in “I shutter to think”. I went looking, naïvely, for a “shuttering climax” which would throw shatter into the soup. A forest of pink googles.

#3 2010-12-14 03:03:55

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Any of this nest of rhymes can be used to describe a quavering or discontinuous noise – a fact I find utterly (not in the nest) fascinating:

For the past few weeks it’s been making a strange sputtering noise when I accelerate.

The old man makes a loud spluttering noise and looks from his paper to the man in the jacket.

When I press the gas the car makes a puttering noise. ...

A sudden scuttering noise in front of him made Julian stop suddenly.

Car makes stuttering noise when starting engine not even turning over.

Basically I have a fluttering noise in my right ear and I’ve had it for three months.

#4 2010-12-14 13:37:51

David Bird
Eggcornista

A shimmering sea of noises.

And her head jerked in spasms, making a spattering noise; her antennae crisped and burnt away and her heaving mouthparts cracked like pistol fire.
Death of a moth

This morning the car was making kind of a faint smoldering noise from the dash so I didn’t drive it.
Car synesthesia

The secret machine buckles and makes a stammering noise, then roars and plummets through the western fence, sending splintered posts sailing in the air.
Jue Joe Clan history

My BMW makes this rattling/hummering noise in idle.
You tube

My 1985 GTI cab generates a shimmering noise from the front wheels when turning on hard lock
Owners club

I think we’ve only shimmered the surface. OK, I’ll try one more just to be sure that any noise you enter has a good chance of being emitted by a motor vehicle somewhere.

Hey guys, my Brava’s engine makes weird cluttering noise when on and parked…..
http://www.fiatforum.com/bravo-brava/42 … ngine.html

#5 2010-12-14 14:21:04

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

As it happens, my ten-year old diesel car is making a clackering noise in the cold weather.

On the plain in Spain where it mainly rains.

#6 2010-12-16 09:01:25

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

...any noise you enter has a good chance of being emitted by a motor vehicle somewhere.

A few more:

Lately, I’ve been noticing that after I shut off the car, I hear a “moo-ing” / buzzing noise somewhere underneath the car.

...”pshh’ing” noise goes away when the vac. line to the boost sensor is …

‘91 M5 Loud RRRRR’ing Noise Vicinity of Power Steering Oil Reservoir

Today when I was driving home, occassionally when braking something inside was making a “Tink-a-Tink-a-Tink-a” noise from the dashboard area.

Not much more i can add to the noise apart from a VVVzzzz’ing noise (try doing it loud and High pitched continuously).

Any luck locating the source of your ‘coo-ing’ noise? I have a 55 Reg 1.2 which has exactly the same problem …

My truck makes a ssssss’ing noise when I drive it.

Last night around every turn my car was making a noise(I believe it was a ‘WURR”ing noise).

For the past two days, my Jeep has made a zzz-ing noise…

.... low on fluid they will whine and make a high pitched “errrr” ing noise.

In what I think is an unrelated problem (it started two days ago), what
might be a relay in the cab in front of the passenger door started
making kind of a gong-ing noise;

it made this awfull eeEEEEEEeeekkkkkk -ing noise when we tried to start it.

I’d only just put it out there, when I heard a car screeching to a halt and … It makes this rather unimpressive “paaaaaarp”ing noise …

#7 2010-12-23 14:57:38

kem
Eggcornista

Big fuzzy spot: stutter, shutter, splutter, spatter, stammer, stagger.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#8 2010-12-23 15:08:33

David Bird
Eggcornista

Yes, and it doesn’t stop there. A quote from one of those fascinating lists of dialect words that leaven the web:

Manx dialect
Smuttering. ” He has only a smuttering of Manx ” -a subtle blend of smattering and muttering, with a suspicion of stuttering, which I have heard but once, of course in Peel. It may have been only a personal coinage, but it is worth keeping in circulation.

This blend, and this talent, are not unique to the Isle of Man. And I wonder is there aren’t other elements in there. How about smut? Not all smut is the naughty kind – some is delicious in risotto (i’m thinking of that highend corn smut from Mexico) – and is noteworthy for spreading easily and removing the clean outline of things.

The following expresses notes of spattering, sputtering, smattering and maybe some smut, or at least yeast:

Club calendar Cargo residents Count Chocula & Joey2Tits never fail to rock the party at our infamous birthday and yard parties. It was only natural that we’d let them loose on a Saturday night. Expect the latest hype releases with a smuttering of classics.

This one has a soupçon of smothering:

Pancake chauvinism English style pancakes are flat and lifeless, where as in Scotland a wee pancake has some body and something to get your teeth into, and great with a smuttering of butter and jam. What is it with you English and flat pancakes, there just not the same FUN !! :roll:

Board footer