Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-12-14 14:52:15

jorkel
Eggcornista

TAP-IT (Tappet) wrench

Not very common, but it was inevitable that the tappet wrench would eventually morph to the “tap-it” wrench. With such a wrench, all you have to do is tap it and the bolt loosens up.

2005 Jimmy 4×4 Front Axle Seals [Archive] – S10PLANET.COM9 posts – 5 authors – Last post: May 8, 2008
... from (i used two buckets), unscrew the jam-nut until its even with the thread top and give a couple hits with the tap-it-wrench. ...
www.s10planet.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-13277.html – Cached

#2 2010-12-16 08:14:14

burred
Eggcornista

Re: TAP-IT (Tappet) wrench

Logical. I suppose you’ve looked for other members of the family. I didn’t have much luck.

Maybe intentional:

Mike Schmidt was a sock-it wrench short of five-tool status.
Baseball column

Kina funny:

I hope he still has that 5lb sledghammer he uses when things don’t fit right. I think its called a sock-it wrench
http://www.hdforums.com/forum/off-topic … ack-7.html

I looked for “wretched wrench”, and wran across a particular common WTFT error, or maybe it’s a squash of wretch and wench.

I just think it’s kind of unfair that Sun & Jin are both such beloved characters, and they killed them off so quickly after being reunited, and Kate is a wretched wrench and they let her live
http://lostvideo.net/phpBB/viewtopic.ph … 6a5591defb

Finally, a kind-of hit, though only one yolk is fertile:

could you turn the nut on the end with a wrench. maybe use a ratch it wrench.
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthrea … 238&page=1

Last edited by burred (2010-12-16 08:15:31)

#3 2010-12-16 17:08:12

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: TAP-IT (Tappet) wrench

Sort of related:

[a] pathetic wrench of a boy

a romance that is, of course, wrenched with misunderstanding,

[She told about crossing one river after the water subsided, when a bunch of drunks pushed them out of
the mud. Another time:] by using a wench, we finally pulled ourselves out of the mud.

it’s hard not to laugh when my hubby talks about how he used to keep all three of his wenches in the
closet and how his friend could pull the motorcyle back up over the cliff only because he had a 3-ton
wench on the front of his truck.

A professor at school here posted on a bulletin board about a medeival dinner mentioning that you could

I hate to throw a monkey in the wrench, but …

(And others along those lines .)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer