Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-12-21 08:20:16

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

Southern Drool

There seems to be some confusion between drawling and drooling:

The Southern Drool is bloody annoying though

It’s like when us New Yorkers hear people with a southern drool talk

grab a tissue and wipe the drawl off your mouth

wipe the drawl off your chin.

The etymology of ‘drawl’ may be connected with a word meaning ‘delay’ but it has a strong onomatopoeic element to it, if you ask me. ‘Drool’ is connected with ‘dribble’ and ‘drivel’.

On the plain in Spain where it mainly rains.

#2 2010-12-21 09:07:12

burred
Eggcornista

Re: Southern Drool

Haw! Good one. Drawl is related to draw and drag, but I somehow doubt the following has been passed down intact over eight centuries.

Rapper
As for the way he sounds, if you listen to his rap voice you will notice a hint of an northern accent and swagger, wit a bit of a southern drag, which is understandable being from up north and living in the south for a minute.

Fan fic
“Arrgh!” Aelita growled in a southern drag

Online fic
Her professional manner suddenly slipped and she was rummaging around in her handbag, talking at a million miles an hour in a Southern drag I’d never heard her speak in before.

Edit: Hold on a second, are these eggcorns? That’s hard to believe; they’re so different in sound. Maybe they’re intentional, or else influenced by nearby ‘swagger’ and ‘handbag’?

Last edited by burred (2010-12-21 09:49:22)

Board footer