Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-12-28 23:48:20

jorkel
Eggcornista

Gnawing / Annoying question

There’s a somewhat in-the-language sense to the word combination “gnawing question,” so whenever I see the combination “annoying question” I have to stop and wonder whether it’s a reshaping of the former. Granted the latter combination of words makes sense in its own right, but this is just another situation where I wonder if the selection of one word (“annoying”) was subliminally inspired by a sound alike word (“gnawing”) in a common usage.

#2 2010-12-29 02:55:52

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

Re: Gnawing / Annoying question

There’s also some re-shaping going on between “knowing” and “gnawing”:

Then once the bids in you start getting the knowing doubt.

the knowing fear that at some point the designer must relinquish control of their own ideas

perhaps accompanied by the knowing fear that next time it could be you who’s naked

And your teeth have sunk into my soul’s flesh. Knowing at my sins. Clawing at my sins

All of a sudden he has the gnawing look of a man with something to prove

Eyes of the doll had disturbingly gnawing look

Last edited by JuanTwoThree (2010-12-29 03:03:52)

On the plain in Spain where it mainly rains.

#3 2010-12-29 09:11:57

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: Gnawing / Annoying question

Nice suggestion about knowing/gnawing. I think “knowing doubt” and “knowing fear” might be genuine eggcorns, though they might have a bit of an idiom blend with “knowing look.” (Your last two examples also draw on “knowing look” in a different way).

Board footer