Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-12-29 10:52:36

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

'Palmer ham' for 'Parma ham'

Homophones for the non-rhotic, this is really something of a consolation prize. I heard someone ask for ‘palm of ham’ which seemed to fit quite nicely with ‘hand of pork’ and ‘pork knuckle’, but no ghits.

£5.50 for 3 bits of melon, 2 slices of tescos finest… or not, Palmer ham, they are having a laugh…. more.

Our Family ordered a salmon+duck breast green noodle salad and a palmer ham pizza to share

Good food, I’m smoking some bass this afternoon, there is Palmer Ham, crab, mussels, prawn, cockel, home grown salad, with my yummy …

#2 2010-12-29 12:12:52

burred
Eggcornista

Re: 'Palmer ham' for 'Parma ham'

You’ve been channeling the future again. “Eating from palm of my ham” is waiting to be born. Meanwhile, here are some other new varieties of ham. The first is related to yours; they’ve just got the geography a bit mixed up, like those who think Parma is a city on Majorca.

Baked Goose Liver With Endives, Palma Ham & Kwak Vinaigrette
http://www.belgianbeerschiangmai.com/r_ … ndives.php

“Swine! Did I not forbid you to appear?!” (Act I, Cyrano de Bergerac)

Firefly’s signature sliders – made with Cyrano ham, ground beef, filet mignon and caramelized onions – were inspired by White Castle’s mini-burgers.
http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2010/oc … summerlin/

Over the next four hours , we worked our way through a dictionary of gourmet dishes: shrimp bisque, cream of truffle, bouillabaisse, goose liver pate with duck breast and Cyrano ham
http://gridskipper.com/archives/entries/057/57604.php

Not to be confused with prosecutor Hamilton Burger.

We had lunch of locally-produced bread, cheese and prosecuto ham plus wine, with honey, and beer for four euros.
http://www.thestar.co.uk/holidays/Seduc … 5761758.jp

Rock melon wrapped in prosecutor ham
http://www.chefoncallcatering.com.au/pd … lected.pdf

The preceding may be a cupertino.

On the other ham, this one is out there, just once, so who knows.

Role play
“Snow…?” Nai reached out his left hand, watching as the snow melted instantly on the palm of his ham.

#3 2010-12-29 16:42:01

yanogator
Eggcornista

I’m guessing that prosecuto and prosecutor ham are from people who have seen prosciuto (Now I’m worried about whether I’ve spelled it right!) in writing, rather than hearing it, because hearing it is more likely to lead to proshooto. Both could also just be a private joke name, like the crustacean tubes connecting my ears to my throat. (It’s where you get crabs, you know)

Bruce

“I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific.” – Lily Tomlin

#4 2010-12-30 21:02:03

burred
Eggcornista

Bruce, I’m interested in the crustacean tubes thing, where you get crabs. Do they enter by the ear or by the throat? Where do they live? Do you get them while snorkeling? If not, how? I think this is quite relevant for the forum.

#5 2010-12-30 21:20:03

yanogator
Eggcornista

They must enter by the throat, since the eardrum would prevent their progress into the tubes. Since they are crustacean tubes, I think that is where the crabs live (although they’re usually found lower on the body). As for their source, I think they generally come from cheap motels and shellfish buffets.

Bruce

“I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific.” – Lily Tomlin

#6 2010-12-30 22:05:40

burred
Eggcornista

Unimpugnable logic. They sell blinders for sleep in the presence of neon lights, maybe there’s a market for Jainist mouth gauzes to prevent accidental inhalation of crabs from motel pillows. They’d have to be so fine that gas exchange would be by diffusion, unfortunately. I’m more inclined to the live and let live philosophy – let’s be thrilled and humbled that arthropods are meeting, falling in love and raising families in our eyebrows, and that we have special crustacean tubes in our skulls to accommodate visitors from the crab-dip.

#7 2010-12-31 05:40:16

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

As for their source, I think they generally come from cheap motels and shellfish buffets.

And packaging too, it seems…

These strong 0.020 in shrimp-racked packaging or bulk. 2011 calendars with adhesive…

#8 2010-12-31 16:01:00

patschwieterman
Administrator

Burred wrote:

I’m more inclined to the live and let live philosophy – let’s be thrilled and humbled that arthropods are meeting, falling in love and raising families in our eyebrows

Is it okay if I’m just humbled, without being thrilled? (Though in an etymological sense, I probably am thrilled.)

Board footer