Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2011-01-05 22:34:38

el tomboto

Working Progress

Inspired/collected from the following infographic, hat tip to David McCandless (see bottom right):

http://web.comhem.se/norre/football_map.gif

I am actually surprised (based on search of the forum) that this hasn’t been nominated before! Maybe it has and I am no good at search. It happens. Moving on.

I like “Working progress” for a couple of reasons, just as a phrase and never mind the eggcorness:

1. It has a dusting of optimism that “living document” doesn’t have. I always thought document would make more of itself, I suppose it’s getting by, but it’s happy, you know, oh well.

2. it implies the artifact is a player, which is pretty fascinating. It’s not “oh right f**king progress!!” or “we’re making progress!” I am excited to see this progress go to work.

As for eggcorn suitability, I thought it might be a cupertino effect at first, but the internet leaves me on the fence.
Given the similarity to jargon like “living document” and its use in the above graphic, I think this should qualify. peer review, shoot!

Last edited by el tomboto (2011-01-05 22:36:12)

#2 2011-01-06 00:01:51

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: Working Progress

Looks like a working one. There seem to be lots of hits out on the Inet. I like the way it makes the roles/parts of speech of the pieces shift around, to where progress is the head noun, modified by working, rather than work being head and modified by in progress.

I like it.

Congrats, and welcome to the forum, tomboto. (Sounds like an Ecuadorian Indian name, somehow—where is it from?)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2011-01-06 00:14:37

el tomboto

el tomboto is the fun spanish version of a nickname I received during (after?) a particularly inebriated/inspired robot dance performance on a patio belonging to a fellow air force enlistee. Generally people call me Tom but El Tomboto is a lot of fun to say. Thank you for the feedback!

#4 2011-01-12 01:54:41

benizi

I saw the same infographic (via Strange Maps) and immediately googled: eggcorn “working progress”.

(So, obviously, I’m in favor.)

With cursory googling, I couldn’t find the collocation often used as a substitute for “work in progress”. Nonetheless, I like the interpretation of “working progress” as a usable, functional prototype. It’s “working” because one can use it, and “progress” because it’s incomplete yet better than nothing.

Board footer