Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2011-01-10 13:00:46

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

'filler gauge' for 'feeler gauge'

With a feeler gauge you can determine the size of a small gap. A filler gauge would work in exactly the same way – when a blade fills the gap the information on the blade tells you how big the gap is:

First of all , its a Filler gauge, not “FEELER GAUGE”. ...

then clean the points with emery cloth and adjust the gap with a filler gauge.

.. look up the gap and u need a flat head and a 10 mm. and u wanna just loosen or tighten so so the filler gage moves freely not to loose or tight.

i have a 1985 honda civic and the valves need adjusting with a filler gage but i do not no what to set them on.

#2 2011-01-10 19:13:32

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: 'filler gauge' for 'feeler gauge'

The return voyage is possible though not as picturesque as a filler gauge.

I have a writer’s guidelines page and I occassionally send out fillers for new content.
Maintaining a web page

You have to hit the pavement and put out fillers that will draw customers to your business.
Building a business

They appear to mean placing small “fillers”, meaning notices, messages or advertising, for filling space and minds.

#3 2011-01-10 19:37:03

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: 'filler gauge' for 'feeler gauge'

First of all , its a Filler gauge, not “FEELER GAUGE”. ...

The capitalization makes me wonder if “Filler” is a last name, and this is an Annie Lehmann. Τhere is a strongly established pattern of such names (inventors’ or manufacturers’ names) attached to specialized tools (e.g. a Stilson wrench, an Allen wrench, ...).
(The past tense of the name would perhaps be Fuller, as in Brush Man.)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer