Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2011-01-30 00:44:37

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

all sort so = all sorts of

Not sure what to make of this one. It feels like I ought to be able to construct a reasonable rationale for it, but at this hour of the night it eludes me. So maybe it’s a non-eggcornish restructuring (though still a striking one). Still so enters into “so” many opaque constructions meaning dubitative, and even more “so”, indeterminate things that it seems somehow to fit here.

O’course, the very common dropping o’ the f at the end of of is likely relevant here: Once you have all sorts ’o things, it’s only a typing metathesis away from all sort so things. But I doubt that’s the whole story.

Where action on such threadbare basis is permissible, all sort so mayhem is likely to result.

It’s always cool and our people do a great job seeing all sort so different areas.

gain some sort of Spiritual advancement and high position after their passing, as well as to wield all sort so impressive abilities in physical life.

It’s easy to promise all sort so things people might want or think they deserve.

It seems much less common in the plural:

For himself he buys all sorts so things. And I only want a decent car a golf R32. Why doesn’t he just buy me it?

Then there is all sort(s) so of :

There can be all sort so of problems if you start down a road in which the teacher did not expect

All sort so of stuff to keep me active and having fun.

You find yourself asking all sort so of questions that are just confusing and do not help in a pressured situation

Riding the bus is an exercise in blocking out all sorts so of noises: conversations, the odd music bleed-through from headphones, honks, shouts and the din

You can buy all sorts so of sweets like donuts, pies, cider, and gourmet food items. They even sell toys.

And then the same patterns with kind(s) :

In art schools there are all kind so people ranging from 18 to 65 modeling nude for drawing classes.

design with so many clocks is always a mess, and it throws up all kind so errors/warnings

We have all kind so laptop accessories and parts. Email us to find out more.

Warm humid conditions inside or in a greenhouse will attract all kind so of predators. Snails, slugs, ants and other insects will find the conditions as …

All Kind So Music | Facebook – [ Traducir esta página ] Welcome to the Facebook Community Page about All Kind So Music, a collection of shared knowledge concerning All Kind So Music.

All Kind So of Music | Facebook – [ Traducir esta página ] Welcome to the Facebook Community Page about All Kind So of Music, a collection of shared knowledge concerning All Kind So of Music.

(The previous two being particularly interesting as near-clones of each other)

This is going to be a good first experience for me, and if nothing else, I can do all kind so of neat home projects on the mill and lathe

i have so many, i love like all kinds so of movies so it would be really hard to come up with them all!

I was really blown away to stumble on this mess, and to see how many of them there are out there.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2011-01-30 01:32:58)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#2 2011-01-30 02:52:39

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Re: all sort so = all sorts of

The genesis of this one seems clear to me: Since most of us commonly pronounce “of”, at least in some contexts, as “o’”, without pronouncing the “f”, people are hearing “all sorts o’” as “all sort so” (or, in a few cases, as “all sorts so”). Since “of” in this phrase is preceded by a word that ends in “s” (“sorts”), it’s easy to hear the wrong word (“so”) here, especially since stealing the “s” from the end of “sorts” still leaves an actual word. Phrases in which the “o’” wasn’t preceded with a word ending in a sound that can make a word when stuck onto the front of “o’” while still leaving a recognizable word before the “o’”, such as “because of” or “in front of” will not create the same mis-hearing mistake; i.e., there’ll be no “becau so” or “in fron toe” constructions because they don’t sound right. Conversely, I’d expect to see similar mis-hearings leading to similar (“all sort so”-type) errors with phrases wherein the word before “of” has a final sound that can be stolen and attached to the front of “o’”, making a word, while also leaving a real word behind (where the sound was stolen from). You’ve already mentioned “kinds”. I found a variation using “types”, as in:

“All type so deer, wild turkey, and other wild game will enjoy this food plot.”

“A term commonly used to denote the sum total of all type so property owned by a person at a particular time for the benefit of the beneficiaries…”

“Must have experience creating all type so SAP EP content…”

“Kills all type so microscopic critters as well…”

And this odd variant, which puts “of” back into the phrase: “Not all type so of NG produce the same amount of methane as call.”

But thus far, that’s the only other variation on this type of error that I’ve been able to find.

#3 2011-01-30 09:30:48

burred
Eggcornista

I agree, these look like the kind o’ brain mechanism that fills in your blind spots with reasonable information. Here are a few more; I suspect they are legion. They’re ghost written by W.T.F. Typo.

Well I have posted all kinds us new pictures on my web site for your enjoyment
Facebook

the pilates band is a huge band you put on your feet then you grab both ends and you can do all kinds up stuff with it.
Yahoo questions

This website has all sorts up beauty products from make up, skin care products, fragrances
All sorts products

#4 2011-01-31 15:04:24

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Dixon: I agree with you. I can see that what I wrote made it sound like I thought the shift was only in the written signal, but I didn’t mean to limit it to that. It is certainly the case that the spoken-and-heard signal is also relevant. There is a bit of difficulty (though slight and easily overcome, I think) in the fact that the o of so ([soʷ])is so different from the o of of ([əv] or [ʌv] if you will). It is true that for some speakers and variants, under certain conditions the vowel of so also reduces to schwa (e.g. [səˈmɛni] ‘so many’ instead of [soʷˈmɛni]).

Yes, the type(s) so (of) structures parallel the sort and kind ones very nicely.

Tocayo: “the kind o’ brain mechanism that fills in your blind spots with reasonable information” sounds like a very good description of the kind o’ brain mechanism that produces eggcorns. Not so? (Granted that some of those eggcorns get a little help from metatheses, blendings and whatnot. Or are those not to be considered “reasonable information”? I think it is right to see them so.)

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2011-01-31 15:08:02)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#5 2011-01-31 21:49:46

burred
Eggcornista

Good point, tocayo. Brings it all together. No one is aware that they are making a new interpretation of a word or phrase due to their own semantic blind spot.

#6 2011-02-01 01:52:59

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

The last two posts on this thread have used the word “tocayo”. Could someone please enlighten me (and presumably others) as to what this word means? Thanks.

#7 2011-02-01 07:33:56

burred
Eggcornista

Dixon Wragg wrote:

The last two posts on this thread have used the word “tocayo”. Could someone please enlighten me (and presumably others) as to what this word means? Thanks.

Tocayo

#8 2011-02-01 13:01:07

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Oh, I see. A tocayo is someone who has the same name as you. You Davids have lots of them. But I only know one other guy with my first name, and he spells it differently (Dickson). And as far as last names go, I don’t have many Wragg tocayos, either. So I guess I’d say that I’m lonesome as far as tocayos go.

Thanks for increasing my vocabulary.

Last edited by Dixon Wragg (2011-02-01 14:22:20)

#9 2011-02-01 19:58:13

David Bird
Eggcornista

The internet has allowed me to see that the planet is knee deep in David Birds. There’s another David Bird at a university here who studies birds, and writes a column in the English language newspaper: “Bird’s Eye View”. I receive his mail and his phone calls and e-mail. He was interviewed on the radio on my subject of expertise: he did a great job. When anyone phones me and asks, “Are you David Bird?”, I automatically say no. Still, I feel that somehow no one is quite David Bird in the way that I am.

#10 2011-02-01 20:18:50

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Of course!

If you ever see any evidence that there’s even one more Dixon Wragg on the planet besides me, please let me know. That would be utterly astounding!

Board footer