Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2011-01-30 11:28:07

burred
Eggcornista

"ampy" and "ambi" theatres

In a radio discussion about the upcoming Oscar awards, I heard a commentator talk about an “ampitheatre”. Since I can’t imagine anyone calling a frog an “ampibian”, it occurred to me that there was some semantic motivation behind the switch. Amphitheaters1 were originally two-sided, open theaters like coliseums. In our day the both sides significance is more or less lost and many outdoor venues on the half-shell adopt the name amphitheatre. There is a sense in which an amphitheater is a place where sound is amplified, either artificially or naturally, by the backdrop to the stage. I think that must be the origin of their treatment as ampy theaters.

Travel tips
The night entertaiment is also good, shows in the ampy theatre & then bands on stage area.

Cheshire bowlers
Im telling you pop along to watch it as the crowd will astound you with voice ,if you have never been its like an ampy theatre.

Hyderabad real estate
gated community apartments, near Hitechcity, S.R.Nagar; A/C gym, swimmingpool, 250 member sitting clubhouse, ampy theatre.

A related trope is amplitheater.

Vacation photos
Pompeii amplitheater
The first rows of seats were reserved for the bigwigs.

Forum
Tell me about parking at the Germain Amplitheater
I am going to a HUGE event at the Germain Amplitheater in Columbus OH.

And then there’s ambitheater. I don’t think this is the amphibian influence inserting itself, I think it’s a squash of ambience and amphitheatre.

Wedding account
The ceremony was held down in a gorgeous rainforest ambitheatre

blog
my camp ground had their own bay and supermarket and bathrooms and ice cream store and arcade and ambitheatre

1. I’m indulging my won’t as a dyed in the woods Canadian to be amphidialectical through the confused employment of both -er and -re spellings.

Last edited by burred (2011-01-30 11:56:02)

#2 2011-01-30 11:45:15

kem
Eggcornista

Re: "ampy" and "ambi" theatres

Amp in amphitheatre. I’ll buy it.

The Merriam Webster dictionary recognizes the pronunciation “am pi” as an alternate. It’s widespread in the communities of discourse around me.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer