Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2011-01-31 17:16:19

jorkel
Eggcornista

Uttered nonsense

Possibly another stealth eggcorn. This time the adjective “utter” in “utter nonsense” is misunderstood to be a verb with a vastly different meaning. This could be an intentional reshaping or even an incidental one, but still I wonder.

Here it is in modified form (uttered)...

The Churchman – Google Books Result
1883 – Religion
And, with an inconsistency which we leave others to explain, the same journals printed in full every scrap of his uttered nonsense. While some derided and …
books.google.com/books?id=hCDnAAAAMAAJ…

Nails keep getting hammered, new Samsung3 posts – 2 authors – Last post: Nov 1, 2009
He is so trapped by his uttered nonsense. From the k-rumors page: Mount: Samsung NX Sensor: 23.4×15.6mm APS-C CMOS 14.6 mega pixels (1.5x) ...
www.photokb.com/.../Nails-keep-getting- … ew-Samsung – CachedGet more discussion results

#2 2011-02-01 08:29:07

burred
Eggcornista

Re: Uttered nonsense

I love it. A natural. I think you maybe right about the stealthiness of utter as well. Both senses, the adjective complete and the verb speak, do come from the same root, outer.

Board footer