Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2011-02-07 19:03:50

David Bird
Eggcornista

"Space dimensia" for "space dementia"

Einstein showed that the universe is 4-dimensional. According to this theory1, time is the fourth dimension of the unitary thing which is spacetime. Large chunks of matter bend spacetime, slowing time in the process, creating the effect we know as gravity. The Earth does not attract us, we are just continually falling off the four-dimensional face of the universe.

It was that simple, until string theory came along. Different versions posit either 10 or 26 dimensions to the universe. The missing directions that don’t show up on GPS are just being demure. Some physicists say that’s just crazy. It’s space dimensia.

The kind of “Space Dementia” which strikes in outer space has its own Wikipedia page. In depth scrutiny indicates that treatment options are limited to being duct-taped to a chair. I can’t be sure that this is not a simple misspelling, so I’ve placed it here.

Random forum
Ok, lets be the pessimist here and assume something like space dimensia must be ailing him

Worst movies thread
Armageddon- Hate it for remembering gems like this: “Way Wrong ANSWER!”, “Man…Talk About the wrong stuff!” and “My god…He has SPACE DIMENSIA!”

10 reasons I love Armageddon
6. Steve Buscemi Gets Space Dimensia

[1] Sometimes eggcorned as the “Spatial Theory of Relativity”.

#2 2011-02-08 00:05:53

kem
Eggcornista

Re: "Space dimensia" for "space dementia"

“Dimensia” looks like a pun to me.

But “spatial theory of relativity.” That’s good. A couple of dozen hits for it.

I’ve always liked the Arthur Dent tip about how to fly in Douglas Adams’s Hitchkiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. He says that you just fall and miss the ground.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2011-02-19 20:15:58

David Bird
Eggcornista

Peter got there first.

#4 2015-01-23 12:37:50

kem
Eggcornista

Perhaps “spacial theory of relativity” is more to the point. Lots of hits.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer