Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-06-14 16:28:09

klakritz
Eggcornista

'chew (one) down' for 'jew (one) down'

The original is an utterly obnoxious and racist colloquialism for hard bargaining. The prhase and its modification aren’t pretty, but it’s undoubtedly an eggcorn, since ‘chew’ connects to the verbal aggression involved. Examples:

Car Buyer’s Tactics… the salesman will try talking to you in terms of monthly payments, but you need to switch him back to total price of the car in order to chew him down.
www.consumerauto.com/tactics.html

Phase II decided that I was going to just give him his asking price rather than try to chew him down.
www.actwin.com/toaph/citroen/experience/phase1.html

...Cobb, the “Georgia Peach”, trying to get what he deserved and Navin, trying to chew him down to almost slave wages.
www.thedeadballera.com/BadBoneNavin.html

Looking to buy, somebody near me is selling one for $275 local pickup. I’m hoping to chew him down to $200.
www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=79343

People like to bargain so mark up the price and let them chew you down.
www.rummagewisconsin.com/ site_resource/articles/article_2.htm

Start at eight million dollars and let them chew you down a bit.
www.graphicdesignforum.com/ forum/archive/index.php/t-2325.html

Board footer