Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#1 2011-02-21 23:04:04

.NetRolller 3D

Craft-versus-host-disease

No matter how crafty our docs are, they can never be sure whether a given sample of bone marrow will be compatible with the receiving patient. Should they get it wrong, the result is graft-versus-host disease (GVHD) – or “craft-versus-host” disease, as some online sources say.

See www.jimmunol.org/content/156/1/79.full.pdf and www.jimmunol.org/content/151/11/6451.full.pdf for examples.

I wonder, is “CVHD” treated with eggcorticosteroids?

BTW, it’s not just GVHD either – http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/ind … #msg668838 talks about “crafting” trees into various rootstock. Again, sounds quite logical to substitute “craft” for the unknown word “graft”.

Last edited by .NetRolller 3D (2011-02-23 00:48:35)

#2 2011-02-22 04:33:26

burred
Eggcornista

Re: Craft-versus-host-disease

Very nice eggcorn. I’m learning a lot of medicine on this forum.

Similar substitutions occur, though rarely, for criminal graft. I also found lots of “skin craft”s, one of the medical arts and crafts.

Board footer