Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#1 2011-03-22 00:16:53

fpberger
Eggcornista

Tractless Wilderness

I usually think of “trackless wilderness” being uninhabited, and away from any steady human traffic that would leave tracks. My husband mentioned that he had heard the phrase “tractless wilderness”, and I do see it used frequently, and sometimes it does seem to be used to mean an unsurveyed area rather than a roadless one.

The difficulty of placing these correctly in a tractless wilderness, which has never been accurately measured, will at once plead both his excuse and mine.

MONTPELIER—It the mid-18th century, teams of men spread out across Vermont to map the tractless wilderness. ...

the first six hundred miles, nothing very worthy of remarks except a tractless wilderness, and wood scarce, but Buffalo dung plenty,

#2 2011-03-22 04:39:49

kem
Eggcornista

Re: Tractless Wilderness

An appropriate substitution. Good eggcorn.

#3 2011-03-22 16:03:12

kem
Eggcornista

Re: Tractless Wilderness

See also the track >> tract entry in the Database: http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/english/698/track/

Board footer