Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2011-08-18 01:43:03

Detroit

copyed and paced for copied and pasted

A post on the DetroitYes.com forum site:
http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthread … ob-growth!

Yesterday 04:43 PM #2
Jimaz
How do you type that Tim Allen grunt in text?

Yesterday 05:00 PM #3
louis
i copyed and paced from detroit2020.com

#2 2011-08-18 06:29:51

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: copyed and paced for copied and pasted

Interesting. When I looked for “paced it in”, I got mostly typos for “packed it in” and “placed it in”. Could this be a blend with placed?

#3 2011-08-18 08:40:38

Detroit

My take is that the author used two past-tense verbs (copyed, although misspelled, and paced, which is grammatically correct, but illogical.

Many writers would say: copy and pasted or copy-and-pasted, though—with the first verb being in the present tense (copy), taken together as a sort of compound verb.

#4 2011-08-18 19:27:35

David Bird
Eggcornista

I did manage to find this one out there, in the form of “cut and paced,” so your find is borne out, Detroit. The polyvalent cut can serve as present and past tense verb, as well as participle/adjective, and maybe this contributes to the confusion between paste and paced.

How do you cut and pace a statement so that you can translate it from one language to another?
Yahoo questions

How do i cut and pace information from computer to thumb drive?
Yahoo questions

You don’t need to cut and pace from one spreadsheet to another
Software blurb

In fact I bet when you were like me and could not write the code; you recorded a macro on a spread sheet and then edited and cut and paced the code into your VB code modules
The nightmare that is EXCEL

Now what do you see as the sense of “copied and paced”? Maybe the pacing is understood as “adjustment”, or “coordination”?

By the way, video editors do cut and pace.

#5 2011-08-20 08:52:10

Detroit

Obviously, the ubiquitous computer term “copy and paste” was the intended usage in the cited DetroitYes.com forum entry, from the context of copying some text from another webpage with the intent to paste its copied text into a forum post.

A user who uses “copyed and paced” in the cited context surely would have next to no knowledge of whatever video editors might do, primarily because of its much more specialized nature.

Personally, I care little if either “copy and pasted” or “copied and pasted” is consistently used in an entire document for the past tense, as both terms are used pretty much interchangeably nowadays. As part of my technical editing and document layout (mostly with the DTP apps, Adobe FrameMaker or InDesign, for larger printed docs/books or brochures, respectively), I also simultaneously perform copyediting and would allow either of the two forms—whatever form the authors chose to employ consistently.

#6 2011-08-20 09:21:35

David Bird
Eggcornista

Oops, sorry if what I wrote made it look like I was calling into question the interest of “copyed and paced.” Not at all. Of course it should have been copied and pasted, as you say. I didn’t intend to imply that this was legitimate in its context. My remarks were directed toward imagining how this mistake could have arisen, and how the originator might have justified it to himself. In the aside, I was just remarking on the surprising personal discovery made during my web search, that “copy and pace” appears to be a meaningful phrase in movie-making.

Board footer