Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2011-09-03 13:49:40

burred
Eggcornista

Hip displeasure

What Can Cause A Dog’s Back Legs To All Of A Sudden Appear Weak Or Unsteady?
[Response] Hip displeasure
Help forum

Can you tell me about hip displeasure in malamutes and best course of treatment?
Yahoo questions

An orthopedic device for treating hip displeasure and hip luxation
Patent pending

Thistle has hip displeasure :( My poor little girl. [...] Well, it was identified as hip displeasure, but a very minor case.
Pet rat troubles

I thought I’d change up the style of posts by entering one sans acorn.

There is a ‘pop culture commentary collective’ called, cleverly, Hip Displeasure.

Edit: This cute eggcorn did not spring from my own fevered imagination; I found it on the straightdope board, submitted by Johnny L.A. back in 2009.

Last edited by burred (2011-09-08 11:15:25)

#2 2011-09-05 10:03:46

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: Hip displeasure

I can’t go through with it. Dys- is bad or abnormal, plasia is molding, formation, development, or differentiation (think plaster, ectoplasm, plastic, Wendy O. Williams). Other equally medical acorns would be anaplasia, for ‘development without form’, and the use of prefixes hypo, hyper, and neo. None of these would make much sense mixed with pleasure.

uterine cancer is also easy to diagnose…as the hyperpleasure begins with a pretty heavy bleeding…
Hormone therapy

Here’s a simbling that’s an almost perfect anagram, resuming symptomatology.

Most of the time you can’t tell they have cataracts and mild hip displays.
Dog behavior question

Finally, a variant that emphasizes the physical dislocation of dysplasia.

I like the dog a lot and wouldn’t mind keeping her, but she has something wrong with her hips, i think it may be hip displacea.
Yahoo questions

Board footer