Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2011-09-10 12:33:34

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

Over and Out (of)

People are making a mountain over a mole hill,” he said. “They are talking about taking someone’s livelihood over 30 seconds of a video. ...

That was not even a tornado it was a small micro burst. Stop trying to make a mountain over a mole hill.

Are you sure you want to flag the comment Mountain over a mole hill.

like youve never laughed at a newfie joke? or a black joke? Maybe a polish joke? I think people make a mountain over a mole hill.

I’m a little confused when you said that Alex “made a mountain over a mole hill” about you making JOKES pertaining to her children.

It’s an elegant rethinking and a slightly different mental picture.

On the plain in Spain where it mainly rains.

#2 2011-09-10 13:35:08

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: Over and Out (of)

A similar rethinking, this one not quite so elegant. These are essentially all from India. I went to see whether moles are endemic to India, where I stumbled on Indian moleology. Or is it molemancy.

Complaints desk
I do not mean to make a mountain of a mole hole as they say, but I do expect some kind of apology from “Chuck” or Vons, even if it is just a letter.

Advice about baby shoes
Trust women to make a mountain of a mole hole.

Politics forum
But lets not make a mountain of a mole hole.

Sports forum
Every week we hear the commontator moan and moan about the refs decision, or the players dive… They make mountains out of mole holes sometimes… The commontators are suppose to commontate and not give there opinion.

Later: It is moleosophy.

Last edited by David Bird (2011-09-10 13:40:12)

#3 2011-09-20 09:24:01

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: Over and Out (of)

There is the old usage of “of” to mean what we would today express as “out of” or “from”. Making a “mountain of a mole hill” is perfectly good usage if “of” is so taken.

In 1921, after hearing someone quote Jonathan Swift’s adage, “You can’t make a silk purse of a sow’s ear,” Little decided to try to do just that.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer