Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2011-10-30 18:44:42

burred
Eggcornista

you've upset my tray of thought

We have chain of thought for train of thought. Thoughts arranged on a tray are even easier to upset and lose.

I have to write everything down. I lose my tray of thought in an instant.
Post-operative symptoms

Be unclear: ‘So, uuh… I was kinda thinking and, uhh… Hehe, I lost my tray of thought. But, uhh… You know…
Love confession

Its a selfishness that I have, and is it possible to change that tray of thought bout “f off and etc..”- i think this stems from me being impatient
Personal growth forum

Turning back to Maël, who was still lingering around on the other side, Isabelle wanted to ask him how he planned to clear this mess when his sudden outburst distracted her tray of thought.
Coop fan fic

#2 2011-10-31 14:00:02

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Re: you've upset my tray of thought

For many people tray and trait are homophones. ‘Trait of thought’ does make some sort of sense, though I much prefer the tray-imagery:

So I tried my best to reply, at this point, I started to lose my trait of thought quite frequently.

Footsteps in the distance made me lose my trait of thought and I spun around to see a small girl standing in the sand, right where the wood …

i am so forgetful that…i lost my trait of thought hold a second. im so sorry this happened (though it happens alot go figure :shrug: )

Another variant:

I had an argument for this, but I lost my trace of thought.

I lost my trace of thought. I’m so smart I can never follow what I’m saying.

#3 2011-10-31 15:44:24

burred
Eggcornista

I once had a trait of thought, but all trace has since gone down the plug. These must be some sort of blend.

she walked by with some hot outfit and I lost my drain of thought…
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread54191-2.html

On the basis of upholding and developing successive leadership’s thoughts, they put forward a development drain of thought called “one goal , two themes, three strategies, four industry and five breakthroughs.”
http://english.shaanxi.gov.cn/articleHo … 883_1.html

i’ve always been torn between logan and gambit for rogue. dang. i just lost my drain of thought and there is drool on my keyboard from thinking about hugh jackman as wolverine.
http://www.fanfiction.net/r/5209234/12/1/

if thats your drain of thought your in BIG trouble before you’ve even leave the blocks.
http://blog.djmastercourse.com/how-to-d … -a-mentor/

#4 2011-10-31 18:26:33

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

These trays, traits, traces and drains are fine alternatives to the conventional rattling carriages of mentation, and for me at least, far more accurate. As is this:

ive just deleted half of this blog and i cant be bothered to write it again cos ive lost my trail of thought so bugger it!

It was really bad though because it was recording and I lost my trail of thought and I was like ‘ah shit..’

I completely lost my trail of thought for a moment and there was a massive pause while I tried to come up with the next question.

#5 2011-10-31 18:43:41

burred
Eggcornista

For journeyman thinkers:

“Rachel”simon said breaking my trade of thought “Were exactly did you get this blood from? ”
Online fiction

Anyway, before I lose my trade of thought.. again..
Forum

The keys in the door interrupted my trade of thought and I shut off the CD player and sat down waiting for Ethan.
Online fic

just follow my trade of thought for a sec: when you accepted Jesus as your Saviour, you were washed in the blood
Religion forum

I would love to write more, but I have work in the morning and will probably lose my trade of thought when I come back
Blog

It’s such an inconvenience to misplace your brain entirely.

He merely lost his brain of thought and got off track.
News comment

She lost her brain of thought when Chiharu placed his jacket over her shoulders, and squeezed her hand gently and looked at her.
Fan fic

Because when I—or you start speaking, I get off on a tangent, and I lose my brain of thought of what I’m trying to say.
Testiony transcript

Last edited by burred (2011-11-01 21:57:16)

#6 2011-11-19 02:40:04

David Bird
Eggcornista

Losing your tread of thought, if it’s not a dropped letter, might be a blend of thread and train.

A knock on the door hauled me out of my tread of thought.
Online fic

I log in, look at the forum, and then post an informed reply using my knowledge and experience to be told to log in AGAIN – my tread of thought is lost and I begin to think why bother – is this my fault ?
Plumbing forum

i train a little differently than a strict bodybuilder would as I use explosive movement for football and other sports 3 months before the season, like my leg presses and bench presses and olympic press and other full body workout excercises, i find they work awesome for strength, but…dammit lost my tread of thought
Body builder forum

Last edited by David Bird (2015-07-14 06:25:11)

#7 2015-07-13 12:31:14

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

I stumbled on this one a couple of days ago:

You get bored and you lose your trail of thought.
interview

...and it led me to this great thread with so many variants on “train of thought”. I like resurrecting old fun discussions that haven’t seen the light of day for years here.

#8 2015-07-14 01:35:10

burred
Eggcornista

She will ask so many questions that you will wish your own head to be severed from your body, cork stuffed into your ears, your head sent to the top of the Blackwing Lair (for those of you who are daft, the home of Lord Victor Nefarious), and used as a ball in a game humans call soccer (or football as some call it) by Nefarian to be punted into a lake of surging magma down below. ... It would seem I have lost my tram of thought… where was I?
Fan fic

#9 2015-07-14 06:23:02

David Bird
Eggcornista

The polysemic character of the next one lends it a poetic tension: has your particular variety of cogitation been disrupted, or have you lost the melody, or are you just hard of thinking?

tweet: But seriously as soon as Dianna said hi to me I lost my strain of thought and I was just like “eyes eyes eyes holy shit”

Novel: But my strain of thought was cut short as I could feel something pull me backward

fandom: Not sure what my point with this is.. yup lost my strain of thought. Got all excited by wormholes.

Board footer