Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2011-11-20 18:03:35

kem
Eggcornista

errorgant << arrogant

Some uses of “errorgant” are clearly puns, but there are several instances of the word on the web where the writers seem to believe that “arrogant” is actually “errorgant.”

The rationale? Perhaps “arrogant” is perceived as a word of insult and changing it to “errorgant” clarifies the assumed insult. Some of us, it seems, like to sharpen the barbs before we stick them in.

A dating(?) site: “I get along with most people except for tha errorgant ones that think they are better than tha person standing next to them”

Cell phone forum: “I don’t want you to think I am being errorgant just biching about the color….I am not…and if I came off that way, I am sorry”

Gun forum: “Keep the personal attacks out of it and if you can’t contribute something informative, then keep your condescenting and errorgant alter ego out of it too.”

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#2 2011-12-13 17:59:30

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: errorgant << arrogant

Errorgant, or just errogant, is a real winner. The arrogant are clearly mistaken. Your entry leads me to note that there are also “aerogant” people out there. Maybe they’re putting on airs. Hmm, yes, “airogant” is out there, too, though rarissimo.

Board footer