Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2011-12-08 17:34:45

Chandra

detourent/detourrent for deterrent

I overheard this at a board meeting last week, and it’s easy enough to find several examples on Google. Didn’t see it in the forum yet though. :)

#2 2011-12-09 09:33:46

burred
Eggcornista

Re: detourent/detourrent for deterrent

Curious eggcorn. What do you think they mean, Chandra? It must be based on “detour”, as in a forced rerouting?

The reanalysis goes both ways, as they will, but detourrent is the more interesting twist.

Whenever we get within a hundred miles of a Heron Hill shop, we make a deter to stock up on Eclipse Red.
Wine hounds

#3 2011-12-09 11:51:59

kem
Eggcornista

Some detour/deter variations discussed earlier: http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/forum/view … hp?id=2851

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#4 2012-04-05 20:20:04

burred
Eggcornista

Here’s a more direct way to clean up the streets.

do wheel locks really make that big of a difference?
Response: It does – its like a crime detergent. what ever require more work will make them reconsider.
Preventing wheel theft

I know a few drivers that don’t like the idea, but I believe the majority want them sooner than later as a crime detergent, or at least as a way to identify perpetrators.
Video cameras on transit buses

Last but not least though, the best crime detergent is to improve the social conditions that foster criminals. It would save society way more money. There is also evidence suggesting that greater penalties do not work as a detergent so I see absolutely no point to have places like the Guantanamo Bay as an extreme example.
The value of prisons forum

Board footer