Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2011-12-14 18:28:27

David Bird
Eggcornista

"sawyer sauce" for soya sauce

Soy/soya was borrowed into English a couple of centuries ago, from Dutch traders who only lightly modified the Japanese shōyu, which is ultimately from Chinese. After Kem’s and Jorkel’s entrées about a soy/suey swap, I wondered whether other concoctions of soya were possible. Sawyer sauce is probably closely homophonic to soya sauce in some dialects; I’m thinking Aussie. I peg it as a Lehman’s term, although it’s possible that some imagine Japanese lumberjacks splashing on their special sawyer sauce.

Tanner nodded and spooned a few tablespoons of sawyer sauce onto her chicken and rice
Online fic

eat it RAW! Unbelievably good taste with a dash of sawyer sauce!
Steroids and diet

Fav drink: bit of lemonade n lime with 2 litres of vodka n not forgettin a bit of sawyer sauce

There is a very negative review on here from a person who doesn’t seem to know much about Indian food – referring to “sawyer sauce” sort of gives the game away!
Perth restaurant reviews

a bunch of parsley two carrots half a cabbage 1 large onion or two leeks Sawyer sauce instead of salt
Recipe

Sides include rotating daily green salads, miso soup, marbled tea eggs, & rice w/ salty toasted seeds & sesame oil; on weekends there’s brunch goodness in the form of rice porridge w/ rotating toppings, eggs w/ chunky onion potato cakes, and Sweet Grain Waffles covered in ginger butter, and huckleberry sauce, which, at least in the mornings, is preferable to Sawyer sauce.
Menu review

Board footer