Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2012-03-25 10:29:48

David Bird
Eggcornista

In Heinz site

The English Language and Usage site says it’s a “free, community driven Q&A for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts.” What’s nice about it from the point of view of this forum is that it has a series of eggcorn tagged questions. The entry I liked the most was an almost homophonic Lehman’s term, in Heinz sight. The first entry is from the ELU site, and the others provide more documentation. Not an eggcorn, unless someone can come up with an explanation, but funny.

I’ve spotted a new eggcorn in the wild, that isn’t mentioned in the eggcorn database. At least, it certainly has some of the elements of an eggcorn but is it a proper one? I’ll let you decide.
... “Im fairly sure in heinz sight he perhaps regrets the decision … ”
Unfortunately the interlocutor later asked the question
... “Why is it called heinz sight anyway?”
casting doubt on the plausibility of the replacement.

In heinz sight should Noirin of been evicted
Talent show

In Heinz sight, I should have stayed in bed pilled up and not gone out this weekend
Tweet

And on Monday, I decided to text him, and ask how he was.In Heinz-sight, I probably shouldn’t have because his response was ‘Omg you’re alive! How’ve you been?
Dating forum

a lower dosage over longer periods of time you are able to maintain gains versus higher dosage and short period of time. In heinz sight dbol is one of the most anabolic steroids.
Steroid advice

Please I am desperate for your advice – in heinz sight what would you choose any of you that have done either the degree option or ILEX?
Law school advice forum

Last edited by David Bird (2017-12-13 15:29:50)

#2 2012-03-31 09:38:23

burred
Eggcornista

Re: In Heinz site

get this man the help he so desperately needed, instead of typically coming forward after the fact and talking about it in Hines sight when it is already too late.
Saving Jacko

I never write reviews, but in hines sight, I wish someone had written an honest review so that I would have avoided spending money and time at this hotel.
Hotel advisor

Here’s another alternative, hind’s sight, that is probably a simple possessive, though who knows. I prefer the idea that some are invoking Bambi’s father.

With my first pregnancy, I would always say “I love him already!” but in hind’s sight, I had no idea what that love WAS until he was born.
Yahoo questions

In hind’s sight, I don’t know what I was thinking. I know it’s ludicrous to place a 3 year old at a table surrounded by sugar and expect her to 1.) decorate the house in compliance with my OCD standards and 2.) not eat it.
Uptight mother loses it

I have come to realize that what I experience as an obstacle is in fact, in hind’s sight, the very opportunity that I was seeking in disguise.
Personal growth blog

Last edited by burred (2017-12-13 15:31:08)

#3 2012-03-31 10:54:54

kem
Eggcornista

Re: In Heinz site

The “sight” part of “hindsight” is subject to the sight/site/cite confusion frequently noted in this Forum: there are many examples of hindsite. The “hindsite” examples that invoke from the semantics of “site” (and aren’t simple misspellings) may be thinking about a place from which to view past events rather than the view itself or the power to view.

The Forum has noted in an earlier thread the occurrence of highinsight and the 2005 comments to the Database mention “hidesight.”

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer