Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-06-25 11:08:11

Brenda M. Shaw

Wholemade / homemade

When I was little, I briefly toyed with the idea that food cooked at home was called ‘wholemade’.

I was probably confusing ‘homemade’ with ‘whole wheat’, since whenever my mother did any baking, she used whole wheat flour (as opposed to store-bought pizzas and hamburger buns and dinner rolls, which were made with white flour).

It was not a misconception I held for long; I saw the word ‘homemade’ written down and then I understood that ‘whole’ wasn’t part of it.

When I googled it, I found that I wasn’t the only one with this problem:

http://www.restaurantreport.com/feature … sine2.html
One was a wonderful sandwich made with fresh wholemade bread, filled with goat cheese, pesto and lettuce.

http://www.hotsauceandsalsa.com/resources/
Hot sauce websites on the Internet that sell brand name and wholemade hot sauces.

http://www.pregnancy-info.net/QA/answer … _pregnant/
...but you are not suppose to eat cold cuts (due to nitrates), feta cheese (listeria from non-pasturized milk) raw eggs, therefore wholemade ceaser dressings…

It’s not the easiest one to dig for, because there are legitimate places to use the words ‘whole made’ together (i.e. ‘the family as a whole made progress’), and there is also a spa-products company called WholeMade.

Last edited by Brenda M. Shaw (2006-06-25 11:11:44)

#2 2008-04-29 14:35:50

JonW719
Eggcornista

Re: Wholemade / homemade

I’ve also seen “homade” (though, somewhat ironically, there apparently is a brand name spelled this way) as well:

YouTube – A Homade Simpsons Music Video
A Homade Simpsons Music Video. Hello, you either have …
Watch video – 7 min – www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe5qIvNkAQ4

Homade Italion Tomato Gravy RecipeHomade Italion Tomato Gravy Recipes selected by the collective tastebuds of the masses from Group Recipes.
www.grouprecipes.com/s/homade-italion-t … /relevancy – 56k – Cached – Similar pages

Lulu.com – Homade CookbooksYou have been invited to become a member of Homade Cookbooks. ... Leave Group: Homade Cookbooks. Do you want to leave this group? ...
www.lulu.com/groups/homadecookbooks – 46k – Cached – Similar pages

Homade Disinfecting Cleaner – Instructables – DIY, How To, home, lifeTired of those commercial and potentially harmful chemicals just to lift a stain, Make your own and “save money” Tools: Spray bottle COMMO…
www.instructables.com/id/Homade-Disinfecting-Cleaner/ – 97k – Cached – Similar pages

MySpaceTV Videos: homade smokebomb creats huge amounts of smoke …homade smokebomb creats huge amounts of smoke with a huge fireba by andy-so close yet so far away Watch it on MySpace Videos.
vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=32698673 – 31k -

Last edited by JonW719 (2008-04-29 14:36:48)

Feeling quite combobulated.

#3 2008-04-29 15:08:33

TootsNYC
Eggcornista

My daughter has gotten obsessed w/ the idea of making food dishes from scratch—from nonprocessed ingredients. From whole foods.

So that sort of idea might fuel those who think of the term as being “wholemade.”

(esp. since many of those who tout their ‘homemade pies’ are in fact restaurants or bakeries, so why would you think that was “home” made? But those pies are made by a person (not a machine), using the same, less-industrial ingredients I’d use at home (whole foods)

Last edited by TootsNYC (2008-04-30 14:06:52)

#4 2008-04-29 15:40:33

JonW719
Eggcornista

I have always felt that restaurants that say they have “homemade” pies should be sued for false advertising. :-)

Feeling quite combobulated.

#5 2008-04-29 16:17:07

burred
Eggcornista

Are there other eggcorns, or at least provocative misspellings, lurking in your post? What about “non-pasturized milk”? That must be produced by cows that have been kept in the barn all winter. In the same reference, there is the “ceaser” salad. What, do you cease breathing once you get your dose of listeria and nitrates? I’ve made a vow to never eat a ceaser salad when I find it on the menu – they might not be kidding.

Board footer