Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#1 2012-05-17 03:59:51

burred
Eggcornista

The popcorn in the kettle black

First and second person accounts of overheating the popcorn until it burns.

I used to think it was “That’s the popcorn in the kettle….. black.” i had no idea what the black was for.
http://www.moopy.org.uk/forums/archive/ … 4-p-2.html

I saw a guy comment the other day that a situation was like “the popcorn in the kettle black”.
http://www.redditgadgetguide.com/r/AskR … on_a_limp/

she devised the useful idiom, ‘that’s the popcorn in the kettle black.’
Mother

I don’t think this qualifies as an eggcorn. It looks like what Dave Tuggy would call a mondegreen in his useful, more liberal definition, that is, a misheard word or idiom or lyric that is phonetically reasonable but semantically catastrophic.

Last edited by burred (2012-05-17 14:08:57)

#2 2012-05-31 05:36:50

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Re: The popcorn in the kettle black

It seems pretty eggcornish to me. I’d say it has at least as much meaning-connection as some of the officially recognized eggcorns. Putting it into the context in which someone would say “That’s the pot calling the kettle black” (i.e., a situation wherein someone who has an obvious failing has just hypocritically denigrated someone else for the same thing), it makes a sort of sense to liken the hypocrite to burnt popcorn (or other offal). But then, my judgment may be distorted by the fact that I’m actually eating a bowl of popcorn, some of which I burned, right this moment.

Board footer