Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2012-05-22 02:11:58

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

"parody" for "parity"

This one has only been mentioned, briefly in passing, twice on this site. So here’s a slightly closer look.

I encountered this in the Style Invitational Devotees Facebook group: ”...they participated in a conference about equality of educational opportunities among youth of different races. The local newspaper ran a big article, wherein the writer referred repeatedly to “parody” in education.”

Googling “achieve parody” yields about 160 unique hits (after screening out puns, redundancies, etc.). Here are a few examples:

Ron Paul told us they were just trying to achieve parody and to gain a little respect.

It should be a pragmatic approach to achieve parody between private and public workers.

Maybe the biggest issue is helping algal biofuels achieve parody with cellulosic fuels.

I believe Russians did not achieve parody with Wehrmacht till summer of 1944.

Women have the power in their 20’s, achieve parody in the mid 30s and are in the weaker position starting in their 40s.

I don’t think this qualifies as an eggcorn because I see no plausible meaning connection, but it’s an amusing substitution.

Board footer