Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#1 2012-06-17 20:57:23

terrycollmann

Lost in the midst of time

Clearly an error for “lost in the mists of time”, but a mishearing rather than an eggcorn, I think, since “lost in the mists of time” is surely pretty clear in its meaning and doesn’t require re-analysis. Here are a few examples:

“Located 140 km from the Inca capital of Cusco, Choquequirao is a jewel lost in the midst of time, surrounded by imposing snow peaks and deep valleys.” Here

“The full history of Saint Anne’s Castle’ has been lost in the midst of time.” Wikipedia

“The reason it was named ‘Guild of Magicians’ and not ‘Nottingham Magic Circle’ is now lost in the midst’s of time” Here

“For reasons, now lost in the midst of time, friends of my Mother had a key to one of the gates into the private part of Windsor Great Park.” The Daily Telegraph

and just for a change, here’s one where the phrase actually appears to be appropriate, since it;’s about an episode of the science fiction TV show Space 1999:

“The promise of a return to Earth – but the space-wandering Alphans find themselves lost in the midst of time.”

Last edited by terrycollmann (2012-06-17 21:09:34)

#2 2012-06-18 02:52:47

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: Lost in the midst of time

I’d call this a nice eggcorn. Something has been lost somewhere amongst all those moments of time. While obscurity of the original idiom or word is an important source of eggcorns, it is not essential. A related substitution of midst for mist was discussed as fade into the midst of.

#3 2012-06-21 15:26:21

yanogator
Eggcornista

Wow! “the midst’s of time” seems to be trying to combine as many errors into one word as possible.

Bruce

#4 2012-06-22 22:28:16

David Bird
Eggcornista

While it’s true that “midst’s” is a big fat mistake sandwich from one point of view, it is part of the perversity of eggcorns that both “in the midst’s of time” and “in the midsts of time” are credible conceptions of the idiom. That’s why they’re out there, in both senses. From the earliest beginnings of time through its midsts to the ends of the universe.

Board footer