Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2013-01-17 15:16:33

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Nada thing wrong with it

Nada thing here just bored at home

nada thing or person around for miles

I am on Clindamycin for 2 days and nada thing has changed!

I took it apart, put it back together and repeated twice and could see nada thing wrong. Put a new latch
assy in, now it works perfect

We did the whole nada thing for insurance on our 75.

(That last example strikes me as rather different; even kind of clever “do the whole nada thing”.)

Other lovely variants: Nada one :

Nada one of us is cocky nor arrogant nor too impersonal to hold a decent, civil conversation with you

They can’t make the numbers add up to a balanced budget. Nada one of them. We need a super hero
now.

nada one of them can measure up to Dbase III plus for ease of use ease of design

Combining:

There’s nada one thing that doesnt interest me.

nada day goes by: (Unsurprisingly,no hits for * nada day passes )

Nada day goes by I’m not thinkin bout u boy.

Nada day goes by that me and chelsea don’t talk about you and wish you was still here with us! But I
know your in a better place now…you are missed

Nada day goes by when [= but what] we have to see Suri and her mother getting out of a car and into a
building…so give it up.

nada bit :

Nada bit of pork fat in this sausage. It’s all lean venison,

without us on the hook to government through those registered names registered sometime after your
birth, government would not exist or have any purchasing power. Zippo, nada bit. Nor would any other
artificial entity for that matter but they have you believing you need them.

I’m coming into this with zero, zip, nada bit of ownership experience.

These last two exx. are particularly interesting in view of the prevalence of this sort of list of negatives:

Nothing… Nada… Jack… Zip… Zilch. Though the words more than adequately described the lack of information there was no comfort in that fact.

Zero, Zip, Nada, Nothing. That’s what my dad would say when he didn’t get anything done at work.

Zip, Zilch, Nada, Nothing. I wish I could tell you some hysterical stories today, but I’ve got nothing.

I’ve heard these lists spoken, and they are all over the Internet. I saw rien in one of these lists (I’ve never heard it), but not (yet) nichts or other likelies. ( Nix , which may be a variant of nichts , shows up rarely.) It’s pretty clear to me that nada is by now definitely a borrowed rather than (just) a foreign word for many speakers. Gringoes (as opposed to Spanish speakers) pronounce it with a flap [ɾ], as if it were spelt (in English) nodda or notta (or spelt nara in Spanish). This borrowed form is a much more likely source for the eggcorn than the pronunciation (correct for Spanish) with a voiced dental fricative [ð], as if it were spelt (in English) nah-the .

There are others:

There is zero,nothing,nada reason for any halt!!

l with no release dates, no tour dates, nada reason to promote you in their publication compared to the other hundreds of band emails.

His mother touched noses with her son nada moment later, the noise of battle, the howls and barks of fury, and amazingly no pain

Amazingly, it worked nada moment. After six attempts, the punt to no avail, Texas, lashed fumbled after the seventh attempt on the next play

Many uses of this last one are not the eggcorn:

[Urban Dictionary definition:] Nada Moment, variation on the old fashioned ‘Blonde Moment.’ Nada represents all things dumb, derived original spanish meaning of Nada e.g. Nothing…

Anyway, the more I pontificate it, the more I like it. (A friend of my brother’s used to say “Pontificate that for a while.”)

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2013-01-17 15:32:43)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#2 2013-01-17 18:27:37

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: Nada thing wrong with it

That’s an amazing collection. I wouldn’t have believed it possible without this abundant evidence. The round-tripper is out there too, providing further support. As well as supporting the phonetics (which were new to me).

He has not a clue when it comes to running a team. None. Notta. Nyet. Nein. No phooking clue.
Yahoo sports comment

Board footer