Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2013-01-20 03:10:40

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

"take defense to" for "take offense to"

This one is new to the Eggcorn forum, I believe. This evening I stumbled upon this in a comment thread online:

I took much defense to this and totally felt disrepected and unloved though he says he loves me.

Googling “take defense to” yields around 30 unique eggcornish examples, such as:

And, I’m a Harlem chick and I take defense to that.

Would you take defense to this?

I am very anti death penalty and I know many take defense to that!

I take defense to that comment because that goes back to sideline demeanor.

I almost didn’t write back anything since it seems like you want to take defense to almost everything I have to say.

The reason that people would take defense to this question is because the Standard for the American Dream has changed so much over time.

lol way to take defense to a normal question i wasnt meaning anything by it…

The pronunciation is a bit dissimilar for an eggcorn; indeed, maybe it’s too dissimilar to call this an eggcorn, though the meaning connection is clear, i.e., people being defensive about something, or, in other words, taking offense as a psychological defense mechanism.

Board footer