Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2013-02-02 15:47:07

kem
Eggcornista

size << >> side

We’ve seen one example on this forum of the confusion between “side” and “size” (lopsized) The mixup between the two terms is more general, however. “Size” and “side” can substitute for each other in a variety of contexts. Here are some fractured idioms

“Wrong size of the bed” “

A tweet: “I woke up on the wrong size of the bed”

“Thorn in my size”

Web page development forum: “Hey guys, this has been a thorn in my size so bad that I spent hours hunting down style defs ”

“Hit the size of a barn”

Comment on graphic arts page: “No wonder the Stormtroopers lost they couldn’t hit the size of a barn!”

“Sunny size up”

Food blog: “Two eggs, sunny-size up are fried onto the dough.”

“Pick on someone your own side”

YouTube group: “ I teach you how to pick on someone your own side”

“All shapes and sides”

Music store reviews: “Since 1935, this place has been selling and renting top quality products to musicians of all shapes and sides.”

These are mostly low-frequency slips. Only the last switch, “all shapes and sides” for “all shapes and sizes,” occurs on a large number of web sites.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#2 2013-02-06 12:33:48

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Re: size << >> side

Interesting! Also:

“Cut him down to side” yields 3 Google hits.
“One side fits all” yields almost 700 hits, including lots of clothing catalogs!
“That’s about the side of it” yields 2 hits.

“Whose size are you on” yields just 1 hit—and it’s a pun, not an eggcorn—but “Who’s size are you on” yields 2 unique hits.
“I’m on your size” yields no hits that looked like eggcorns.
“Sizeswiped” yields 1 unique hit (”...sizeswiped by the truck…”).
“a size order of” (instead of “side order”) yields 10 unique eggcornish hits.

You’ve struck a rich vein here, kem!

#3 2013-02-06 22:46:51

kem
Eggcornista

One side fits all. Makes good, alternate sense. Nice one.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#4 2013-02-06 23:02:41

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

I think “a size order of” also makes good sense, even though it only yielded 10 unique hits (so far). People may be thinking in terms of a “size order” being a portion of a certain typical size, perhaps a little smaller than an entree.

#5 2014-09-30 14:51:44

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Fairly common on the {size} size :

One final note, the VW Golf is actually kind of on the big size. A lot of people drive vehicles that are a size class down on it

They were Angus meatballs I got at Publix, kind of on the big size. Had to eat them with …

Im kind of on the big size but not extremely big , lets just say im a XL in aeropostale t-shirts

The pool is not on the big size but it was clean.

the room itself was kind of on the small size, just barely big enough to fit a queen size bed and drawers

I have visited the dorms and they’re kind of on the small size. But there are extra security measures since it is an all girls school such as a pass-code

For me, the HTC Evo hit the sweet spot for screen size on a phone. The iPhone is a little on the small size, even with the retina display

i think the sugar-coated part was saying he was on the “small size of average” as opposed to just saying he was “small”

This one has some definite eggcorn potential, I think. The great number of them likely means it is standard for some. (It also may well be a blend for many. Not a very likely typo.)

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2014-09-30 14:52:26)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer