Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2013-02-13 21:46:53

hstahlke

actalight

At the Ash Wednesday service this evening, as I was watching the acolyte light the candles at the beginning of the service, I was reminded of when my children each served as acolytes. My oldest was, of course, unfamiliar with the word, and i don’t think he had paid any attention to the written form of the word. He referred to himself as an “actalight.” Strikes me as a solid eggcorn. The word is reananlyzed in a way that made sense to him. He was acting, and his action was to light the candles.

Herb

#2 2013-02-13 23:08:28

kem
Eggcornista

Re: actalight

Wonderful. Another religious eggcorn. I can’t find any examples on the web, but confessions trump statistics.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer