Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2013-03-19 19:46:27

David Bird
Eggcornista

"distinct" for distant

An eggcorn heard today by my daughter, in conversation: “We used to be close, but he’s been acting distinct lately.” Normally I might suspect “acting distinct” to be a cupertino, perhaps for something like distint. But aural evidence is hard to deny in this case. Distant comes from stand away from. Distinct comes from distinguish, prick apart, ultimately from the Proto-Indo-European root *steig-, for “stuck, stick, stitch, thistle”. Say those 5 times quickly. So “being distinct” means separate in a way that’s not so literal as “being distant.”

Therapy has been distinct lately. I’m not obsessing about her or being in her life. So, i’ll be okay if she does not email me.
therapist dependence

He hugged me for near enough the whole time i was at his house. Since then he has been distinct with me
worrying symptoms

we’ve been together 5mos. but now he’s acting distinct
yahoo questions

Board footer