Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-07-04 22:34:02

Kirk

pangful

In some North American dialects of English historical /{N/ is raised to [eN] or [eIN], thus making a word like “bay” have the same vowel as “bank.”

I did a Google search for the word “pangful,” which is a rare word meaning “full of pangs” knowing that for many speakers it sounds very similar to “painful.” While “pangful” mostly brings up results of definitions on the word there are some examples of people using it in a context for which “painful” was probably meant. Here’s a page with one such example:

Sigh… Life without ping is pangful.

It is unlikely the person meant “full of pangs,” but in the context “painful” makes more sense. Of course there is probably a semantic connection between the word—”pangs” are usually not so comfortable, so the connection with “pain” is not too hard to make. I also have found examples of “pang” for “pain,” as in the phrase “no pain no gain.” Here I found an example of the phrase with “pang”:

NHL trade deadline. G.M.s with no playoff hopes make sure deals rid them of overpriced talent who add little to the game. Thus the old hockey cliche: “No Pang, no gain.”

I find it unlikely that the person here was trying to use a pun and if you do a Google search you’ll find other such examples of this phrase with “pang.”

Last edited by Kirk (2006-07-05 01:52:19)

#2 2006-07-08 13:18:10

beavispants

Re: pangful

Actually, that last one could very well be intended as a pun, because Darren Pang is the name of a former NHL goaltender who became a prominent TV hockey commentator.

#3 2006-07-08 18:05:57

Kirk

Re: pangful

beavispants wrote:

Actually, that last one could very well be intended as a pun, because Darren Pang is the name of a former NHL goaltender who became a prominent TV hockey commentator.

Oh, interesting. Then yeah, it definitely could be a pun. But I’m not sure if my first example was meant to be punny.

Board footer