Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#1 2013-04-12 21:43:23

kem
Eggcornista

funraiser << fundraiser, opinionhated << opinionated

Writers intentionally permute “fundraiser” to “funraiser.”. But there are a large number of sites on which the wordplay is nonobvious. These users may believe that the semantics of “fun” play a role in “fundraiser/funraiser.” Examples:

Caption on YouTube politcal video: “Jim DeMint speaking at a funraiser for Congressman Trey Gowdy”

Forum thread: “Today is the day that my co-worker helds a funraiser for her son battling with leukemia! ”

Austin, Texas, citizen action site: “ This is a funraiser for our friend …in his bid for Travis County Commission, Precinct 1. ”

“Opinionhated” for “opinionated,” however, is a less likely eggcorn candidate. Almost all the uses of “opinionhated” on the web apper to be puns. The few that aren’t, such as the two below, may just be phonic misspellings:

Response to a thread about being opinionated: “I am more opinionhated.”

Post about a song: “Give it time and try not to be too opinionhated.”

Board footer