Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2013-04-13 09:44:19

David Bird
Eggcornista

"waterclogged" for waterlogged

The second hit on fpberger’s post on fretting the small stuff related a story of a “waterclogged” self phone with equanimity. Lots of hits out there for this one. The origin for the word waterlog is the extremely mundane idea that the object in question will resemble a log, believe it or not. So waterclogging is not a degradation of imagery.

Yesterday morning I woke up with a broken new bkr water bottle, water clogged I Phone
fp’s second hit

Waterclogged crops hurt Upper Midwest farm borrowers
American Banker magazine

Retentive soils drained or undrained may by great aud constant rains become so completely waterclogged as to retard the growth of crops by suffocating or drowning the roots
Mass. Agr. Coll. Report, 1879

The particular case of waterclogged soils in some of the valleys and plains of the western mountains shows the relationship between surface and groundwater.
Land guide, 1976

#2 2013-04-14 11:45:55

kem
Eggcornista

Re: "waterclogged" for waterlogged

Good one. I wonder if the source of the verb “waterlog” might be the nominal “water log.” A log that has been in the water for sometime becomes a cellulose iceberg, with just a bit of wood above the waterline.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer