Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2013-05-15 18:01:37

fpberger
Eggcornista

Unvarnished / Ungarnished Truth

I think both of these get used, with “unvarnished truth” much more popular and of much longer standing, at least according to n-gram. So I’m guessing “ungarnished truth” comes from a reshaping of “unvarnished truth”, although it carries its own logical imagery and there’s nothing particularly incorrect about it.

There could even be a slightly different slant to the two idioms, as I would think “varnished truth” attempts to hide the defects and rough bits, whereas “garnished truth” just tries to pretty up the meat and potatoes of the truth with some flavorful bits and pieces… Not sure I see this difference in normal usage, though.

#2 2013-05-15 23:33:01

kem
Eggcornista

Re: Unvarnished / Ungarnished Truth

“Ungarnished truth” seems like an eggcorn. I’m not sure, though, about another permutation, unfurnished truth.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2013-05-16 12:12:41

fpberger
Eggcornista

I see a few references in there to the “plain, unfurnished truth”. So perhaps envisioning the way you can see all the defects in a bare room, when you don’t have curtains, rugs and furniture to cover up and distract? I kind of like it as an eggcorn.

#4 2013-05-16 12:19:13

fpberger
Eggcornista

Going one step from the unfurnishing, I see several references to the “unfinished truth” in contexts where the “unvarnished truth” would be appropriate. I suppose varnish is a finishing, so perhaps that’s the connection.

There is also a deep reluctance on their part to tell the unfinished truth or admit fault, a streak of national chauvinism.

But then you get quotes like this where there seems to be a connection to the lack of completion:

I found this new picture of the rough cut Ruby crystal. It is more like me than the sparkling cut version. It seemed to reflect the unfinished truth of a work-in-progress. (near the end)

Board footer