Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#1 2013-10-12 23:58:29

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

"toad the line" for "toe(d) the line"

Looking at variations such as “tow the line” on this site inspired me to google “toad the line”. Of the 94 purportedly unique hits, only a few appeared to be eggcorns as opposed to puns. Examples:

After a few hard blows with the shocking hammer the draught horse toad the line and gave no further trouble! [from an account of a blacksmith shoeing a recalcitrant horse]

He’s promised to toad the line this time. [from a contentious discussion in a car enthusiasts’ chat room]

I must know that I toad the line when it came to this challenge, whatever danger I might place myself in from coolly-clad pooch-protected dough-ladies.

Though the last example seems to indicate that the woman who wrote it confuses “toad the line” with “held the line”, the first two are more consistent with a substitution of “toad” for “toed” (in the first example) and “toe” (in the second). Possible eggcornish meaning-confusion could be based on the submission implied by the word “toady” or by a more general impression of toads being lowly. I think “toad the line” is a real live eggcorn!

Board footer