Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2013-10-27 19:02:32

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

going through the loops

Very common, spoken and written, and (as indicated by repeated usages in the conversation that recently brought this to my notice) standard for some.

[re the immigration process] there are so many loopholes, I mean, loops to jump through

I expect they had in mind hoops to jump through at the same time as pitfalls/traps in the process (±=loopholes?)

his unwillingness to go through any loops [… another occasion …] It just becomes more loops to go through […] he’s been through all the loops you could think of

we don’t get a lot of the rights and we have to jump through the loops to get where we need to go to attend these parole hearings

I still do not want to jump through all the loops of writing migrations which fix dates.

we didn’t want to jump through all the loops of legally changing my name so I stayed a Polanski, but I feel like a Tallez,

it can often take up to five months for a landlord to go through all the loops of the eviction process

Sometimes, then, you just go through the loops, other times you jump through them. The loop image fits with the idea of convolutions and non-straightforwardness which is inherent in situations where in the standard phrase we talk about having to jump through hoops. Some of us talk about going through the rigamarole, and maybe that and similar phrases are active in these examples as well.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#2 2013-10-27 19:35:34

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: going through the loops

I like the loophole connection. It makes a loop metathetical kin to a hoop. Here’s the alternative topological derivative of loophole.

It is a tale of bungled planning, official obstinacy and, now, a standoff among bureaucracies.
“We jump through the holes of getting in the proposals. We get the OK for this state-of-the-art equipment. It’s delivered and then we run into a wall
http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1996-1 … sed-office

there’s a difference between having an insurance policy that actually insures you and one that is called insurance but doesn’t really pay for much of anything and makes you jump through holes to get reimbursed
http://medscape.typepad.com/thedifferen … nt-ba.html

They’re the same. They’re both ponzis. Autosurfs involve advertising and make you jump through holes to get your daily returns.
http://www.talkgold.com/forum/archive/i … 22026.html

Are there others?

In John’s eyes the only option was to play the stupid game and learn to jump through the hopes of the Welfare system.
http://www.examiner.com/article/fighting-the-system

I am sorry that you were not accepted. I can understand how having to jump through the ropes and papers can be frustrating before you can volunteer.
volunteering red tape

#3 2013-10-28 16:13:19

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

One can go through the loops much as one would go through hoops, i.e. going through the empty space surrounded by the loops, much as a belt goes through belt loops. One might also go through the loops as a roller-coaster would go through a loop-de-loop, running along the track made by the tube or other material of which the loop is formed. In the first case your trajectory does not (necessarily) make a loop; in the second it does. “Running through the loop” in some usages seems to require the second conceptualization, especially figurative usages in which a program runs through loops (there are many). Literal usages of both types abound (a cord running through loops, or liquid running through the loops of a straw.) Possible replacements for jumping through hoops (following required bureaucratic procedures) involving this wording are not so easy to find, however. There are some:

Sure, I’ll run through all the loops that support will make us go through insinuating it’s our issue (typical software vs hardware deflection).

They run me through the loops, you need to call this number and that number and so on.

Does anyone ride this on the weekends on a regular basis that might run me through the loops? Or can I just get by droppin in unfamiliar?

Colleges and/or Universities want to run you through the loops of getting other credits outside of your major. I dislike that. It’s a waste of time

#4 2013-10-30 22:33:24

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

David Bird found several interesting variants, including:

I am sorry that you were not accepted. I can understand how having to jump through the ropes and papers can be frustrating before you can volunteer.
volunteering red tape

Jumping through ropes makes all kinds of sense when these are the same ropes you need to learn, and the same rigmaropes or motions you have to go through to jump rope

Don’t get your ropes up, Crusty. we ain’t started yet.

(Unfortunately, this is probably a purposeful pun—it was rodeo patter in this case.)

#5 2013-10-31 10:01:50

David Bird
Eggcornista

It would be fun to see how far one could get playing blidiom tag. I see that “learning the hoops” is out there, and not always the hula variety. An exercise for a snowy evening.

Board footer