Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2013-12-29 16:05:45

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

"scrap the bottom of the barrel"

In this movie review I encountered

Scrapping the bottom of the barrel for both ideas and archival fight footage, Grudge Match is like a bad Onion headline come to life.

I googled “scrap the bottom of the barrel”, figuring that any examples I found would be a little less likely to be mere spelling errors than if I’d googled “scrapping…”. I found lots of examples, for instance:

In journalism there is an expression if news is scarce and you can’t find a story you scrap the bottom of the barrel for any story…
blog

The staff were very helpful – breakfast always looked fresh and had plenty so no one had to scrap the bottom of the barrel
travel site

“To scrap the bottom of the barrel”.= to choose the least valuable things or people in group.
FB page

I think we have a real eggcorn here, and not just a bunch of spelling errors, due to the very plausible meaning connection of the word “scrap” to the concept of scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Board footer