Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2014-01-08 02:22:44

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

"beta breakers"

There’s an annual footrace in San Francisco called the Bay to Breakers (named after the starting and end points). People almost invariably pronounce it like “beta breakers”, which always makes me think of the class of medications known as “beta blockers”. Anyway, I figured there’s probably someone out there who thinks the name of the race is the “beta breakers”. Sure enough, googling found a few like this:

A local resident told us that the roads were closed due to the ‘beta breakers’ event. What?? What the heck is a ‘beta breakers’? Come to find out it is this 7.5 mile run event called ‘BAY TO BREAKERS’.
blog

I’m sure this articles image is just going to inspire folks to drink more… If alcohol brings that to beta breakers, I’ll be there every year
article on drinking problems at the Bay to Breakers race

What is the beta breakers run in San Francisco?
question and answer site

Not sure about the eggcornicity. Not sure what meaning the perps attribute to “beta” in this context.

Board footer