Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2014-01-12 05:17:06

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

"boshit"/"bowl shit" for "bullshit"

The Urban Dictionary says:

Bo-Shit (bo-shit) A bastardization of the term “Bull-Shit”

The question arises whether the term is an eggcorn or at least a malaprop for some. There are a few examples online, such as:

boshit call from some person claiming to be from an insurance company and she was surprised to find out that people work during the day and dont have the time to sit and chat.
discussion thread

Just remember- whatever boshit life throws at ya, you’re still doing better than this guy.
blog

I normally hate this Friday Bo shit, but its a hot beautiful Friday. Enjoy!
Google page

Say that shit again I’ll wack all ya’ll Get on some bo shit…smack all ya’ll…
rap lyric

I’m assuming that “boshit” is just a malaprop rather then an eggcorn because I can’t think of a plausible meaning connection.

“Bowl shit”, OTOH, may be a different story.

Talking smack about the future, bowl shit that we are fit to do
rap lyric

Actually, save for Bowlshit law suits, pederastes, rapists and murderers they don’t produce anything.
http://www.eurogamer.net/forum/thread/252865
discussion thread

When I was a kid I thought my dad was going around saying “bowl shit” (obviously he wasn’t a mathematician) and it wasn’t until much later that I realized “bullshit” made a lot more sense.
comment thread

Dont explain shit…just another bowl shit society based on secrecy…making a man in to a better man gimme a fuckin break…freemasonry?
comment thread

Now “bowl shit” may indeed be an eggcorn for some, because of the imagery of a turd in a toilet bowl.

#2 2014-01-12 09:42:54

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: "boshit"/"bowl shit" for "bullshit"

Disgusting and wonderful. Bowl shit recalls a bowl in a China shop. I agree with the commenter on that post, that the reimagination of bull as bowl would be easier in dialects where they’re near homophones. My friend from D.C. comes to mind.

#3 2014-01-12 14:57:19

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Re: "boshit"/"bowl shit" for "bullshit"

David Bird wrote:

I agree with the commenter on that post, that the reimagination of bull as bowl would be easier in dialects where they’re near homophones.

I’m originally from Michigan, where “bull” and “bowl” are indeed homophones or damn close to it.

Board footer