Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2014-01-12 15:57:56

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

"cutesy call" for "courtesy call"

A day or two ago, while looking for another eggcorn, I stumbled upon this:

yeah is allstate insurance company its just a cutesy call….
discussion thread

Googling “cutesy call” yielded some other examples, including:

And consultations with Japanese Embassy on the Port of call activity plans with cutesy call plans to the Department of Youth, Solomon Islands Government.
report from the Solomon islands

The chairman of the forum His Imminence Prophet Joene Erue, made the appeal during a cutesy call on the governor in his office at Dutse Government House yesterday.
article from Africa

because the sales person didnt even give me a cutesy call to let me know what is happening…i had to go to the store constantly.
complaint

BUT 2 DAYS HAS BEEN PASSED MY PROBLEM IS STILL THERE AND NO BODY BOTHERED TO GIVE ME A CUTESY CALL SO THAT I SHOULD KNOW WHAT IS THE STATUS OF THE VERY PROBLEM.
complaint

Since the pronunciation of “cutesy” is not very similar to that of “courtesy”, this may be an eyecorn (isn’t that what they call a sort of eggcorn based on seeing the written words rather than hearing them spoken?). The fact that most of the examples I found were from writers whose English was not their first language may be significant. If there’s a meaning connection, I reckon it would be that a courtesy call could be seen as a cute thing to do—but maybe that’s a bit of a stretch.

Board footer