Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2014-03-11 14:08:23

kem
Eggcornista

jingleism/jinglism << jingoism

While there are some examples on the web of “jingleism/jinglism” as a new coinage meaning “writing poems/prose/songs with too many trite phrases,” a few of the examples seem to be confusions with “jingoism.”

The word “jingoism” was invented in Britain at the height of its empire. You can read one account of its colorful etymology here. “Jingleism” extends the metaphor beyond that of blind patriotism into the realm of a trite political cant that supports this kind of patriotism.

Forum post: “ i needn’t even mention the startling display of jingleism. shocking behavior, even from a Hakui-an.”

Comment on Guatemalan video: “The existente of an american empire is rarely acknowledged, or it’s smothered in displays of jingleism that celebrate war and an arrogance that says that no country has the right to go its own way”

Quote in blog entry: “There are dragons on the Right who in their anti-immigrant hatred, in their war mongering jingleism, in their commitment to drill and burn their way out of our energy crisis will make you miss John McCain.”

Press release: “”I think there is a high level of jinglism in the United States right now, and that could become even a higher level. Generally speaking, when there is a war, obviously aerospace companies and entertainment firms do well”

Post on web app: “Somehow war never looks quite as good when you are in it as it did when you were outside and just listening to the jinglism. ”

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#2 2014-03-11 14:16:55

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: jingleism/jinglism << jingoism

I am sure of this one as an eggcorn: I remember thinking of it that way myself. (Long ago, in my youth, I’ll have you know!)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer