Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2014-03-20 10:45:17

kem
Eggcornista

apple pie order

We haven’t mentioned “apple pie order” here. The presumed source of this odd expression is the misperception of a French phrase that has nothing to do with pies or apples.

“Apple pie order” has some eggcornishness to it, I think, because “apple pie” in NA parlance is widely used to tag a state of satisfaction. “We stand for Mom and apple pie.” “As American as apple pie.” So “apple pie order” might convey the sense of a satisfying arrangement.

The phrase “as American as apple pie” is a bit peculiar, isn’t it? NA apples were all brought over from Europe and Asia after the sixteenth century. The only native American apple is the crab apple, and crab apples, with their bland, mushy taste and high seed-to-flesh ratio, are not really choice ingredients for apple pie.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#2 2014-03-20 20:02:32

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: apple pie order

I didn’t know that.
A favorite spooneristic perturbation which I have documented from a surprising number of sources:

Most of us are quite content that you believe differently – we actually believe in the applehood and motherpie thing, you know, religious freedom – but …

All of that is applehood and mother pie, of course. Identities must be continually contextualized within the user’s environment

[Here = idealized view = pie-in-the-sky ?]

Both dehumanize women, whether through the applehood and mother-pie “good girl” image, or the plastic sex-doll centerfold fetish.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2014-03-22 04:16:14

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

“Applehood and motherpie” sure sounds to me like a joke rather than a mistake.

#4 2014-03-22 12:43:31

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Dixon Wragg wrote:

“Applehood and motherpie” sure sounds to me like a joke rather than a mistake.

Some might have been—it’s hard to tell sometimes, for sure. A couple that I personally heard did not strike me that way: the person saying it did not show any sign of self-conscious cuteness or anything of the sort, that I noticed.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer